The dreaded necessity for a bikini body – cardio. “Spinderella, cut it up one time” has a whole new meaning to me. I don’t know about you, but the average cardio machines and I just don’t get along. It’s a love hate-relationship basically. I’ve always been active in the gym lifting weights, but had a hard time getting psyched up to do the elliptical, stair mill or treadmill for the never ending half hour cardio sesh. That is, until I met my match in the spin room. After an iron-pumping workout one day and with the coercion of a couple of other gym rats, I gave it whirl. Much to my delight, it was like I met my match. Lights out, music blaring…I was in a world of my own singing along and sweating like crazy with hills, sprints and intervals. And I liked it. It was a cardio party and I left the class feeling like a million bucks. What’s better than that….it’s a 500-to-700 calorie torching workout. That’s it, that’s all it took…a fun and exhilarating workout to keep me interested and now I’m religiously spinning at 6am every morning! Check it out, try it….give it a spin! Here are a few tips to get you started and help you make the most out of your sesh.
– have the instructor set you up on the bike to ensure proper saddle height and placement
– make sure you are well hydrated before the class and don’t forget to bring water with you
– keep your core engaged when out of the saddle for balance instated of putting your weight on the handlebars
– keep your shoulders relaxed and down and keep your eyes on the floor about 6 feet in front of you
– and last but not least, listen to your instructor instead of doing your own thing.
Happy riding! Hope you love it as much as I do.