When it’s summertime and temperatures are rising, hot breakfasts are the last thing on my mind. That’s why a morning smoothie is a great on-the-go breakfast. These plant and fruit based smoothies are an ideal way to get all of your nutrients before you’ve even stepped into your office. To save even more time, wash and prep your ingredients the night before so all you have to do is put everything into your blender in the morning, pour it into your cute reusable cup and head out the door! Check out these 6 smoothies (some with five ingredients or less!) that will be part of your everyday mermaid-morning routine!
1. Pink Lemonade Smoothie
- 1½ cups frozen strawberries
- 1 cup sliced bananas, frozen (about 2 small bananas)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (juice of approximately 1 lemon)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds, optional
Blend all ingredients with a blender until smooth. Pour into your cup & drink up! Serves 1
2. Fineapple Smoothie
- 1 handful of kale
- 1 celery
- ½ cup of green apple (sliced)
- ¼ a lemon
- ¾ cup of pineapple (can be frozen)
- Handful of ice
- 10 – 12 oz of water, coconut water or almond milk
Blend all fruits & veggies together then add ice and 10-12 oz of water. Blend until preferred smoothness.
3. Avo-tropical Smoothie
- 5 ounces light coconut milk
- 6 ounces fresh pineapple chunks (roughly 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 frozen banana, broken into large chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of flax seed
Place coconut milk, pineapple chunks, avocado, banana, vanilla extract, and flax seeds in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into glass and top with a sliced pineapple. Best served immediately.
4. Green Goddess Smoothie
- 1/2 cup fresh red grapefruit juice (substitute orange juice or coconut water if a sweeter smoothie is desired)
- 1 cup kale or spinach
- 1 large green apple, chopped
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- ¾ cup celery, chopped
- 1/3 cup frozen mango
- 2 tablespoons packed fresh mint leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons virgin coconut oil (optional)
- 4 ice cubes, or as needed
Add ½ cup of grapefruit juice to the blender. Now add the kale (or spinach), apple, cucumber, celery, mango, mint, coconut oil (if using), and ice. Blend on high until super smooth. You can add a bit of water if necessary to get it blending. Pour into a glass and enjoy immediately. This makes a larger smoothie. Divide into two glasses and save one for later if you want!
5. Toasted Caffeinated Coconut Smoothie
- 1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut plus a little more for garnish, if desired
- 1 cup canned lite coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coffee (frozen into ice cubes is best)
- 1 large banana, frozen (slice the banana before freezing for easier blending later on)
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Toast the coconut. Heat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and spread coconut on a cookie sheet. Place in oven and toast, stirring every couple of minutes, for 5 – 6 minutes, until golden.
- Add 1/4 cup of the toasted coconut plus the remaining ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass, sprinkle with a little additional toasted coconut if desired, and serve with a straw
6. Mermaid Smoothie
- 1 full banana (frozen)
- 1 apple
- ½ a pear
- 1 kiwi
- 3 tablespoons of greek yogurt
Blend until smooth one frozen banana, an apple, half a pear, a kiwi and three tablespoons of yogurt. Pour into a glass. Decorate with fresh fruit. ENJOY MERMAIDS!
A huge thanks to fellow #bikinislayerbabe and blogger, Aria Morgan – who contributed this post via @CorporateMermaid.
Life is better in a bikini! ~Nicole Gargasz